Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Midnight Disaster

I worked 2 overnights at the shelter this week....

I havent worked an overnight since living in Massachusetts at the residential facility.

I forgot how boring they are.

However, women in crisis, are usually a lot more enjoyable, and make the time go faster than a bunch of conduct kids who are sleeping...EXCEPT when those kids were escaping, or trying to kill each other....those nights were fun.

We have a bunch of women right now that are exceptionally high needs. Ugh. When I say high needs...think of the highest needs, most demanding person you know, and multiply that by 10, and then times that number by 9, because thats how many women are in shelter right now....

Ambulance...Regional police....incident reports...serious occurrence forms.....crisis lines.......medication...medication....medication.....All by myself, with only the crisis lines to keep me company.

Usually we are double staffed but on midnights, you're all by yourself. Im just bitching, but im glad they're over, and I cant see myself working another for in a long time.

5 comments:

yrautca said...

I thought you preferred men in crisis. They can be pretty enjoyable too ;)

Dont work too hard now. Where you moving to?

Big Ben said...

Is there men's crisis centres?

Px said...

you enjoy hte work really...i know you do
except the over nights...i can imagine that's less fun if you're on your own

Natalia said...

I volunteered for a abuse survivor shelter for a while. It was eye-opening.

-N

Miss Ash said...

Did the new person start yet?