Tuesday, February 14, 2006

BOOO University.

Due to what the registrar's is calling an "oversight", what has happened is that I was one credit away from a different degree than the one I got a few years back. How this all happened was funny in a "ha ha" sort of way, but is now becoming funny in a "i want to rip their hair out" sort of way.

I noticed that my major average had not been calculated through out my entire university career, and when I brought it to the attention of the department, and the academic council, they came to teh realization that I was one credit away from a different degree completely.

The one credit that I was short, was a 4th year course, but after I freaked out, *politely freaked out* I booked an appointment with the department head, and after 2 hours of her sort of scratching her head, and repeatedly saying "I've never seen anything like this before", we came to realize that the one fourth year credit that I was short, I had taken already, years before. But when I took it, it was a 3rd year course. So...becuase I have the credit, it transfers to the one 4th year credit that I was short. *its stupid I know, they change the calendar yearly, and they reuse course numbers....but Whatever. I have the credit, and therefore, got my new degree approved.*

So, God forbid you have 2 degrees in similar fields from the same university, they are making me return my original degree, to get the new one. That's no problem. I dont mind...As this is what I sort of came back for. However, NOW because they're issuing me a new degree, there are stipulations. They want me to pay graduation fees again, and wait until June to get my new degree.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but I already graduated, and got a degree. They're taking that one back, and replacing it with the new one. Where in that, does it say, "You're graduating again, and getting a new degree. Pay up." When in fact that is not the case at all. Yes, i'm getting a new degree, but at the price of my old one. If I was able to keep my old degree, AND get the new one, I wouldnt say one word about it. I'd happily pay...However, since this new one is infact replacing my old one, and i'm NOT graduating again, its sort of pissing me off.

Everyone keeps saying "i've never seen this before" and "this is the first time this has happened"...blah blah blah...."we appologize for this oversight". This whole thing is starting to piss me off, and All I want is my new degree...Hassle free. However, that doesnt seem to be the case, as more and more people are baffled by my case, and since I have explained it about 10 times to upper administration, i'm hoping you see my point.

All of this happened from me noticing that I had no major average calculated on my transcript 2 weeks ago....I've found out i'm getting a new degree, they're making it difficult for me to get it, and I still have no idea what my major average is.

13 comments:

rawbean said...

I'm really curious to know what you are studying.

Yea Universities are mofos. They forget sometimes that you are the customer and they shouldn't treat you like crap because without students they have nothing!

Princess Pessimism said...

I'm studying Sociology/Criminology and a bunch of social work Family classes. Fun stuff eh??

You're right. And right after I posted this, I went to the registrars and gave them a piece of my mind....

Akanksha said...

what was ur old degree and what is the new degree that u r getting?.. just curious ;D
i hope the new degree is worth all the effort that u r puuting in it.

yrautca said...

Perhaps you need to stick to the ball.

hehehehehhehe. I crack me up.

Miss Ash said...

I don't understand the average thingy as didn't you need to tally your average when you applied to Teachers College?

Trib said...

That is just bizarre. But organizations breed bizarre situations.

Princess Pessimism said...

Akanksha - My old degree was sociology, this new degree is a combined degree with 2 majors. Sociology and Criminology....and for what it's worth, I hope that its worth all the effort i'm putting in too.

Yrautca - You're such a wierdo. LOL

Miss Ash - There are three averages on a university transcript. Sessional, Cumulative, and Major. I had no clue what my major average was, although the other two were calculated. And Windsor runs on a 13 point system, where as the states runs on 4. The states calculated it themselves, and figured it out according to their own point system. *if that makes any sense*

Trib - Not always....but in this case, I agree.

Amichai said...

Windsor runs on a 13 point system, where as the states runs on 4. The states calculated it themselves, and figured it out according to their own point system. *if that makes any sense*

Non what so ever. This is just another example of The Man sticking it to the little guys. Damn the Man save the Empire

Princess Pessimism said...

Slopmaster - Shhh. Only my university runs on a 13 point system. Every university runs differently.

Amichai - I still cant figure it out. And i've given up trying.

rawbean said...

point system? I don't know what my university ran on...maybe because I went to Bovine University...haha...no I went to a real uni - do you mean GPA? ours was 4.5....but somehow I don't think that's what you're talking about...

my brain hurts.

JM said...

I always hated dealing with my acadamic advisor and all the red tape and all the other stuff that comes with getting a degree--that's why I ended up getting two of them, plus med school.

Princess Pessimism said...

Linny - they lost your transcripts??? Oh my god...

Rawbean - Yes, i'm talking about GPA. Ours runs on a 13 point system...

Angel - LOL!!!...you make me laugh.

berly02 said...

If they are really sorry about the oversight, why are they trying to make you pay more?